Pages

Monday, September 19, 2011

Thanks for the Prayers


Recently my good friend sent an email saying she was praying for me as I recovered from an illness. Oh, those words are a soothing balm, aren’t they? Just knowing you’re not alone and someone cares can really help a person feel better. And as I responded with “thanks for the prayers,” it hit me, Jesus appreciates our prayers too.

O My dove, in the clefts of the rock,
In the secret places of the stairs,
Let Me see your face,
Let Me hear your voice;
For your voice is sweet,
And your face is beautiful. 
(Song of Songs 2:14 NKJV)

He loves to hear from us. He can’t get enough of us. Right now, as I type this, He’s wooing me to break for devotionals. Just to come and sit quietly with Him, listening to Him, speaking with Him, singing to Him, reading about Him, loving on Him.

Prayer is so much more than bringing petitions by repetition. Prayer is communion—heart to heart with the God who created us, with the Bridegroom who longs for us, with the Friend who loves us, and with the affectionate Father who cares for us.

Prayer is life. Years ago, I prayed God would give me a vital prayer life. I wanted my prayer time to be filled with life and energy. God answered in so many ways. He gave me an energetic, living prayer life, but he also fulfilled another definition of “vital” in my prayer time—necessary for life. I spent hours in prayer and it became something I couldn’t live without. Still can’t. Vital prayer life. I asked, and He was very glad to grant my request for more of Him because God loves when we pray.

Prayer also moves the hand of God. When you have intimacy with someone and you ask for something, they’ll listen. They’ll prioritize you above others. You have special favor in their eyes. Cultivating intimacy with God brings such joy as you delight in Him and such reassurance when you pray. I’m not saying He’ll always answer immediately, and I’m not suggesting we gain some sort of perceived control over the omnipotent God. I’m saying there is joy in delighting in Him. There is freedom and sweet communion. Vital prayer.

So, if Jesus were to leave a comment after you posted your morning devotional thoughts, I think He’d say “thanks for the prayers.” Clicking off to go commune now. All His best to you, dear readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment