Pages

Friday, April 9, 2010

The Song of the Dove


There it is again. The gentle call of a dove who has nested high in the trees outside my office window. I hear her song daily now. Co-coooo. Co-coooo. The peaceful sound of a contented bird.

A couple weeks ago, during a rainy, stormy March day, this dove and her mate created their family. Now she coos sweetly to God who is meeting her needs.

Jesus spoke of God meeting our needs. He first described how God meets the needs of sparrows. My pastor calls this Sparrow Faith. It’s a law of the kingdom. God will meet our needs. His faithful and cannot deny Himself. (see 2 Timothy 2:13)

Look at how Eugene Peterson put it in the Message Bible:

"If you decide for God, living a life of God-worship, it follows that you don't fuss about what's on the table at mealtimes or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion. There is far more to your life than the food you put in your stomach, more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body. Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds." (Matthew 6:25, MSG)

We can be “careless in the care of God.” I take that to mean careful, but you get the meaning. Relaxed in your soul as God works in your life. Trusting. At ease. Peaceful.

Believers are considered His doves:

Behold, you are fair, my love! Behold, you are fair! You have dove’s eyes.” (Song of Solomon 1:15)

So, when I sing, or speak, or pray, God hears my voice as His dove. He’s tuned to my call. Like when I perk up at the cooing sound outside my window, God perks up. “Oh, there she is. I love that sound. Let me hear more of it.” The same is true of all believers.

“O my dove, in the clefts of the rock,
In the secret places of the cliff,
Let me see your face,
Let me hear your voice;
For your voice is sweet,
And your face is lovely.” (Song of Solomon 2:14)

And when I have a need, I know God hears. His heart is warmed with the sound. He will help.

That’s His promise to His dove.

No comments:

Post a Comment