Pages

Friday, June 25, 2010

Hearing God's Voice


As promised, here are some steps you can take if you'd like to learn to hear God's voice.

1) Ask Him to speak to you. Believe He wants to. Ask Him to lead you. As a born-again believer, the Holy Spirit already dwells inside you. He longs to dialogue with you.

2) Grab a journal and get ready to write. This is an act of faith, but you’ll be glad you recorded what He said. When I was first learning to prayer journal, I used different pen (ink) colors for my own words and for God’s. Now, I use a symbol to delineate. I can easily go back to an old journal and discover His answers to my questions, or His prophetic direction/insight. It’s phenomenal when it hits me: “This could never have been me. I don’t even think like this!” Or all the things He tells me ahead of time.

3) Trust Him to speak. He wants to talk to you. Wait on Him. Listen.

"My sheep hear My voice, and I know them,
and they follow Me." ~ Jesus (John 10:27)

4) Read a passage of the Bible first. Worship. Get into His presence.

5) Don’t be in a hurry and don’t give up.

6) Ask God for discernment and keep reading His Word so you don’t get off course. Stay connected to a Bible believing body of believers (church) and be accountable. Remain teachable.

7) Be aware God’s voice will sound like your own, because He’ll use your mind and that’s the voice of your mind. (This is a new concept to people, but it’s true. Think about your own thoughts and how you hear them. They’re probably “spoken” in your own “voice.”) God is not condemning, though, so if the “voice” is condemning, it may be your own (raise your hand if you're sometimes hard on yourself), or it may be the enemy. Be careful. And always seek confirmation until you’re sure. God doesn’t mind confirming His words to His kids. He’s looking for humble followers. It’s a learning process, so keep with it.

Rejoice! God wants to speak to you!

"Everyone who is of the truth hears My voice." ~ Jesus (John 18:37d)

No comments:

Post a Comment